Monday, June 27, 2005

Touching People

If you've somehow gotten the idea that this is going to be a naughty post, I'm sorry, I've got to let you down.

This post is about Mrs. Roberts, a lady who was a teacher at Owens Road Elementary School, where I received the tutelage of my pre-adolescent years.

I saw her saturday, and she recruited me to edit her book ("you were always good at that, even in 5th grade."), for which she will monetarily compensate me. I accepted (what did I get myself into?!). After exchanging pleasantries, she introduced me to her companion ("now this young lady here did a play when she was in elementary school, actually she was in all the plays"), and asked me what the names of the people were that I performed a Niki Giovanni (or was it Maya Angelou) poem back in the 4th or 5th grade.

I don't remember!

So I blurted out some names that I remembered from ES... one of them was right... I mean, she was taking it WAY back, you know? Then she was offended that I was so sketchy on the details, she said "you'd better not forget that poem/play I taught you! We worked so hard on it!"

Which tells me a few things:
1. When I tell people I've been performing since before I can remember, I'm telling the truth.
2. You never know how you touch people's lives. This lady has kept this memory of her crowning achievement with her for over 15 years. She was proud of us, and we did a good job, because it's stayed with her.
3. I still look the same as I did when I was in Elementary School, because she picked me out at work as I was passing by.

I don't think that's in order... at least, if I was writing a screenplay for a movie, I think I'd have to have it as 3, 1, 2. If it's a comedy, it'd be 2, 1, 3 or 2, 3, 1.

Anyways. The point is, you NEVER know how you affect other people. Now go watch It's a Wonderful Life.

b

No comments: