Wednesday, July 06, 2005

2-ply or not 2-ply

What is with 1-ply bathroom tissue? AURGH!!
I had to go yesterday, and when I got to the bathroom, there was a roll of 1-ply. I felt so... neglected. Like the comfort of my derriere was not of concern for these folks. Besides, I'd have to double or triple up, which made me feel like I was furthering the advancement of the destruction of the Rain Forest.

Then I thought about it.

If I doubled up on 1-ply, doesn't it then become 2-ply? Am I saving paper by doubling the 1-ply, since I'd just end up doubling the 2-ply anyways? But then, with 2-ply, the number of squares desired to double is less because of the absorbent nature of the 2-ply, than the perception of the Kleenex-factor of the 1-ply, therefore, the hypotesis is scientifically stated as:

Does the social perception of varying absorbent nature of 2-ply over 1-ply cause subjects to use more squares in doubling 1-ply than subjects would double with 2-ply, and is this perception justified and correct?

So... If I think "man! 1-ply! This sucks!" and triple up 5 squares, I've used 15 squares. But If I think, "2-ply, sweet!" and double 3 squares, I'm using 24.

So, it *is* all in perception, isn't it? Those 1-ply freakzoids are economically and environmentally sound.

I'm still not going to buy 1-ply, but at least now I know that I have a hand in the destruction of our Earth's resources.

b

No comments: